Associate General Counsel
For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
We are currently seeking applicants for the position of Associate General Counsel.
This position will report to the General Counsel. The Associate General Counsel will provide legal advice and guidance to senior management and staff in support of the company. Matters routinely involve the following areas: corporate structure and formation documents, data license and services agreements, NDAs, license agreements, vendor agreements, professional services and consulting agreements, customer agreements, and various employment matters (handbooks, severance agreements, etc).
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Handle a wide range of legal responsibilities as assigned and supervised by the General Counsel, including participating in business, operational, and strategic decisions
- Advise management team on legal strategies, issues and risk management
- Review, draft and assist in the negotiation and execution of various commercial contracts and agreements
- Support new business development from both a commercial and regulatory perspective
- Act as a strategic partner for the Human Resources and Finance department in employment, securities and legal compliance matters
- Oversee the development of programs to prevent and detect violations of laws, company policies, and other misconduct; promote ethical practices; and ensure the implementation of the compliance program throughout the organization
- Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, legal processes and policies, and contract management
- Liaison with other departments in the company and attend other business functions as required by General Counsel
- Ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in legal matters
- Experience with a data licensing company is a plus
- Must be able to issue spot and draft agreements
- License to practice law
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated problem solving skills
- Ability to effectively handle shifting priorities and adapt to changing demands in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of the organization and demonstrate a team-oriented work style
- Background check required
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Excel/Google Docs: 1 year
- Regulations: 1 year
- Microsoft Word/Gmail: 1 year
- Human Resources: 1 year
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Associate General Counsel.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.