For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. active in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts who build best in class data tools. We are committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
We are currently seeking applicants for a position as a Data Engineer. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with a strong desire to learn new skills, an interest in progressive politics and experience with data engineering technologies.
The Data Engineer plays a critical role in this effort by designing and maintaining an optimized database architecture, prototyping, implementing, and automating improved workflows.
In this position you will be a member of Data Services team under Data department working closely with other Data teams, such as Data Quality Assurance and Data Operations. The Data Engineer is in close contact and communication with the Analytics and Tech departments, while working on various cross departmental projects.
This position reports to the Director of Product Management.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as vital connection point between the Catalist Data team and the Analytics team
- Project manage cross-departmental efforts, with direct responsibility for stakeholder engagement, management and execution of technical elements
- Use large-scale databases, Linux, and a variety of scripting languages to automate data engineering work, execute ad hoc research projects, and fulfill client requests for ad hoc reporting
- Serve as a resource to build structure for scoring analytical models at large scale
- Become a subject matter expert for client sourced data for ontology purposes
- Provide data quality assurance and model validation on analytical models and synthetics
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability to handle multiple concurrent tasks
- Expertise with Vertica, Redshift, Postgres, MySQL, or other database platform with advanced SQL skills
- Demonstrated experience with automation using scripting languages such as Python (preferred), R, Perl, Ruby, Bash, etc.
- Experience with version control tools such as bitbucket, git, or similar
- Experience with political targeting, statistics, and statistical software packages
Desired Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with ETL tools such as Talend, Wrangler, Tamr, etc.
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, and Cloudera
- Experience with mapping/GIS software
- Expertise in project management, especially across departments
- Familiarity with Catalist data, progressive political needs, voter files, and commercial databases
- Experience working with data in a political, non-profit, membership-based, or social science environment
Education & Experience:
- BS or BA in a technical field, non-technical degree applicants with technical experience also considered
- Background check required
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Data Engineer.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.