For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. active in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts who build best in class data tools. We are committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
The Analytics department is at the center of this mission in developing cutting edge strategic tools and products for clients of all sizes and scopes. Each Catalist Analytics tool is backed by a decade’s worth of robust, individual level demographic, socioeconomic, and behavioral data, adding unparalleled context and richness to the end result. Our work fully leverages a data warehouse that includes individual level civic data on the full adult population of the U.S.
The Data Engineer plays a critical role in this effort by designing and maintaining an optimized database architecture, prototyping, implementing, and automating improved workflows, and integrating with our Technology and Data departments to build cross-departmental systems that further leverage the growing Catalist data store for analytics.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as vital connection point between Catalist Analytics, Data, and Tech departments
- Project manage cross-departmental efforts, with direct responsibility for stakeholder engagement, management and execution of technical elements
- Use large-scale databases, Linux, and a variety of scripting languages to automate data science work, execute ad hoc research products, and fulfill client requests for ad hoc reporting, campaign lists, and presentation materials
- Oversee the workflows that aggregate and store Catalist and client data for the analytics department
- Provide quality control to ensure automated models and synthetics replicate and validate
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability to handle multiple concurrent tasks
- Expertise with Vertica, Redshift, Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, or other database platform with advanced SQL skills
- Demonstrated experience with automation using scripting languages such as Python (preferred), R, Perl, Ruby, Bash, etc.
- Experience with version control tools such as bitbucket, git, or similar
- Experience with political targeting, statistics, and statistical software packages
Desired Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with ETL tools such as Talend, Wrangler, Tamr, etc.
- Experience with mapping/GIS software
- Expertise in project management, especially across departments
- Familiarity with Catalist data, progressive political needs, voter files, and commercial databases
- Experience working with data in a political, non-profit, membership-based, or social science environment
Education & Experience:
- BS or BA in a technical field, non-technical degree applicants with technical experience also considered
- Background check required
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Data Engineer.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.