Data Services Engineer
For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists and campaign experts who build best-in-class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
As a Data Services Engineer (DSE) at Catalist, you will have a leading role in managing cross-departmental projects as well as providing support and creating solutions for a wide array of Catalist clients and partners. The DSE supports the Client Services team by providing reports, visualizations, lists, and appends that the Catalist Q and M tools cannot readily provide.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with excellent technical skills, a strong desire to learn new skills, and an interest in progressive politics. Catalist values creativity and problem-solving. Our work is on the cutting edge of data-driven politics, and your support will help Democratic candidates and progressive organizations conduct successful advocacy and electoral campaigns.
This position reports to the Director of Product Management and works closely with the Client Services, Analytics, and Tech teams.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Acts as an advanced user of all internal and external Catalist tools, data, and products for the purpose of supporting client requests and internal projects as needed
- Gains an understanding of client needs, political implications, and scope by interacting with the Client Services, Analytics, and Technology departments on a regular basis
- Oversees all projects assigned from start to finish; successfully delivers reports, lists, and other material requests on time, accurately, and in a client-friendly format with actionable insights
- Executes requests for new business development support from Marketing team
- Escalates issues and concerns to the Director of Product Management as needed
- Creates and maintains documentation to support all deliverables for future replication
Skills & Abilities:
- Willingness to be a problem solver and produce results in a fast paced environment
- Ability to focus on details and make productive suggestions on ways to streamline and improve processes
- Ability to be creative and personable, and articulate ideas clearly
- Excellent project management skills, including ability to handle multiple projects at once
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills quickly
Education & Experience:
- Experience with Excel, SQL, and/or Python
- Experience in the following a plus: Terminal, R, Hadoop, Talend or using a Unix command line interface
- A background in GIS or data visualization tools such as Tableau or Periscope is also highly valued, but not required
- Experience with political campaigns or progressive organizations is preferred
- Background check required
Catalist values creativity and problem solving. We want to revolutionize the way data is used by political campaigns, non-profit organizations, and academic institutions, and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of advocacy efforts. Our Client Services team is critical to growing our impact.
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Data Services Engineer.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.