Senior Data Scientist
For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. active in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts who build best in class data tools. We are committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
The Analytics department is at the center of this mission in developing cutting edge strategic tools and products for clients of all sizes and scopes. Each Catalist Analytics tool is backed by a decade’s worth of robust, individual level demographic, socioeconomic, and behavioral data, adding unparalleled context and richness to the end result. Our work fully leverages a data warehouse that includes individual level civic data on the full adult population of the U.S.
The Senior Data Scientist plays a critical role in this effort by leading the design, testing, and application of new strategies for understanding and predicting voter behavior at the individual and aggregate level. Tools and methods developed by the Senior Data Scientist enhance not only the broader efforts of the Analytics team, but directly support the innovative work of our clients and partners.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Expertly leverage Catalist’s data resources to provide innovative tools and strategies to Catalist partners and clients
- Spearhead the full design and execution of high priority data science efforts, from planning to evaluation and deployment
- Collaborate on, and deliver expert scientific and methodological guidance with other data scientists and across the Analytics team
- Provide quality control to ensure Analytics deliverables are conveyed and accurately and precisely
- Other duties as needed
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in creating predictive models or other data science products for use in political program
- Well versed in statistical concepts such as regression analysis, statistical and Bayesian inference, and probabilities; knowledge of the principles of experimental design and/or survey research also a plus
- Advanced SQL and R skills
- Experience with version control tools such as git or similar
- Highly motivated, curious, and collaborative
- Strong problem-solving skills and a demonstrated capacity to thrive in high-pressure, evolving environments
- Familiarity with Catalist data, progressive political needs, voter files, and commercial databases is a plus
- Master’s degree (or higher) in quantitative field, along with at least 1-2 years professional experience preferred; Bachelor’s degree and at least 3-4 years experience also considered
- Background check required
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Data Scientist.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.