Senior Software Engineer
For 14 years, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
- Work closely with engineering, political, and data science staff to understand, develop, and refine functional software requirements
- Be the primary technical owner of one or more software components of our architecture
- Help to lead, grow, and guide a small group of software engineers
- Fully understand and master our system architecture to help grow and evolve systems
- Decompose and estimate tasks with other software engineers
- Design and develop software systems and solutions
- Support verification and validation of software solutions
- Support deployment and configuration updates to software component
- Support and maintain software systems and solutions built by the development team, including issue and root cause analysis
- Create, develop, maintain, and own technical product documentation, including user guides, specifications, design and implementation plans, project plans, issue tickets, etc.
- Provide technical feedback on product features and designs
- Actively contribute to open, supportive, and collaborative software development process and culture
- Foster proactive and constructively curious attitude in troubleshooting and root cause analysis practices
Skills & Experience:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- Global systems architecture perspective
- Very strong software design and development skills, including a broad understanding of the current zeitgeist
- Strong work ethic and self-starting motivation
- Ability to self-educate on new technical skills
- Ability to educate others on new technical skills
- Dynamic problem solving skills
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly, to be creative, and to work in a personable manner
- Strong attention to detail, and strong organization skills to work independently and supervise a team under tight deadlines and multiple work streams
- Strong working knowledge of Java web applications
- Experience with Scala a strong plus
- Working familiarity with Hadoop ecosystem technologies, especially Spark, is important
- Strong working knowledge of SQL, especially Postgres, Vertica
- Solid understanding of data formats, representations, and encodings
- Past political and technology experience is a plus
- Experience with campaign and voter file data tools (e.g. VAN, PDI, Q, or M) a plus
- Background check required
A bachelor's degree in Science, Engineering, Political Science or equivalent experience is required for this position.
This is a full-time job in Washington, DC. Compensation will range from $100,000-$120,000 per year, commensurate with experience and relevant skill.
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Software Engineer.”
Medical, Dental, Prescription Drug, and Vision coverage
Catalist offers medical, dental, prescription drug, and vision coverage. Coverage for eligible staff begins the first of the month following the date of hire.
Group Term Life Insurance & Long Term Disability
Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Coverage is available for eligible full-time employees. These benefits will be provided at no cost to Catalist’s employees. Enrollment will occur automatically on the 1st of the month following your date of employment.
401(k) Safe Harbor Plan
The 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan is available to all full-time employees from date of hire. Employees may contribute pre-tax or post-tax from their salary up the legal limit set forth by the IRS.
- Employer Contribution: All participants are eligible for this contribution.
- Catalist, LLC will contribute up to 3% of your compensation into the plan for each eligible participant.
- Catalist, LLC 401(k) plan allows qualified employees to enroll on their first day of work.
This benefit allows you to have up to funds deducted on a pre-tax basis from your gross salary amount to pay for Metro use.
Student Loan PayDown or SaveUp
Catalist is pleased to offer a Student Loan PayDown and College SaveUp benefit. We make direct contributions to either your student loans or 529 college savings plan. You get to choose which one will be most impactful to you!
Professional Development Benefit
All Catalist employees are eligible for an Individual Development Budget of $750 per calendar year. We are committed to the professional development of Catalist team members and are excited to support this benefit.
Personal Leave & Vacation
Catalist offers vacation benefits to all full-time, permanent staff. Employees receive 12 days their first full year. In addition to vacation, after 6 months each employee is allowed three personal days per calendar year and up to six days sick leave depending on tenure.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.