Senior User Interface Engineer
For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
We are currently looking for talented and energetic engineers who would like to work on an exciting set of products to help progressive organizations run more effective voter contact programs. This position will offer a unique opportunity to help build out an enterprise class data processing and analytics infrastructure for scale.
As an engineer at Catalist, you will have a leading role in efforts to discover actionable insights using the largest repository of individual-level data in progressive politics. Our work is on the cutting edge of data-driven politics, and your findings will help Democratic candidates and progressive organizations conduct successful advocacy and electoral campaigns.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with engineering, political, and data science staff to understand, develop, and refine functional software requirements
- Be the primary technical owner of the in-house developed user interface software components of our architecture
- Lead a small group of software engineers
- Drive the process for translating software requirements into working systems and solutions
- Decompose and estimate the effort for tasks for yourself and other software engineers
- Design and develop web applications and related software components
- Support verification and validation of web applications and components
- Support deployment and configuration updates to web applications and components
- Support and maintain web applications and components, including issue identification and root cause analysis
- Create, develop, maintain, and own technical product documentation, including user guides, specifications, design and implementation plans, project plans, issue tickets, etc.
- Provide technical feedback on product features and designs
- Support maintenance windows and deployment schedule (generally a brief part of one evening a week)
Skills & Abilities:
- Global systems architecture perspective
- Very strong software design and development skills, including a broad understanding of the current zeitgeist
- Strong work ethic and self-starting motivation
- Ability to self-educate on new technical skills
- Ability to educate others on new technical skills
- Dynamic problem solving skills
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly, to be creative, and to work in a personable manner
- Strong attention to detail, and strong organization skills to work independently and supervise a team under tight deadlines and multiple work streams
- Strong working knowledge of Java and JVM-based web applications. Scala a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of SQL, especially PostGres, Vertica
- Experience with Scala a plus
- Working familiarity with Apache Spark a plus
- Solid understanding of data formats, representations, and encodings
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Science, Engineering, Political Science or equivalent experience
- Past political and technology experience is a plus
- Experience with campaign and voter file data tools (e.g. VAN, PDI, Q, or M) a plus
- Background check required
Salary & Benefits Package
This position offers an annual salary in the range of $95,000 – $110,000. At Catalist we live our progressive values, and our benefits package is one of the ways we support our team and employees. Our benefits include:
- Life and Disability Benefits
- Health and Dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Transportation Benefits
- Retirement contributions
- Continuing education disbursement
- Student loan and/or educational savings account contributions
- Parental leave, including flexible scheduling and remote working
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior User Interface Engineer.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.