Software Quality Assurance Engineer
For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working closely with Client Services, Data, and Technology teams staff to understand and shape functional software requirements towards verifiability
- Create and maintain comprehensive and topical test plans
- Create and maintain automated regression test suites for functional testing of Catalist software products
- Developing and maintain test documentation
- Provide feedback on software product quality that drives production release
- Find and elaborate on software defects to produce actionable issues for software developers
- Must be able to adjust working schedule (occasional evenings and weekends) as workload demands
- Must be able to work independently and have a passion for finding bugs
Skills & Abilities:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- Hands-on experience developing test automation scripts for web-based applications, Java applications, and REST APIs
- Conversant skill in Python scripting and coding
- Strong experience with a test tool set such as Selenium or Postman
- Ability to write automation test code for functional testing of JVM applications
- Conversant understanding of Java and JVM application architecture, including build and deployment processes
- Experience with testing on multiple browsers and platforms (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) required
- Experience with continuous integration tools like Jenkins or Bamboo a plus
- Experience with cloud-based performance testing tools a plus
- Conversant understanding of modern web application architecture and components. Experience with React a plus.
- Familiar with performing validation, regression, and "smoke tests" lower down the application stack
- Sufficient familiarity with SQL to be able to query databases directly to confirm/disprove application functionality and to provision appropriate test scenarios
- Demonstrated ability for organizing and creating test cases and test plans to show coverage and track progress and project health
- Must have at least 5 years experience with test automation and quality assurance with JVM and/or web-based software products
- Experience with web application testing and web-based API testing required
- Experience with at least one RDBMS - PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server, etc. required
- Experience with columnar or NoSQL databases a plus (Vertica, Greenplum, RedShift, HBase, Cassandra, etc)
- Experience with deployment and enterprise use of Redhat / CentOS Linux platforms a plus
- Background check required
Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Science, Engineering, or other technical discipline strongly preferred.
This is a full-time job in Washington, DC. Compensation will range from $65,000-$75,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Software Quality Assurance Engineer.”
Medical, Dental, Prescription Drug, and Vision coverage
Catalist offers medical, dental, prescription drug, and vision coverage. Coverage for eligible staff begins the first of the month following the date of hire.
Group Term Life Insurance & Long Term Disability
Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Coverage is available for eligible full-time employees. These benefits will be provided at no cost to Catalist’s employees. Enrollment will occur automatically on the 1st of the month following your date of employment.
401(k) Safe Harbor Plan
The 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan is available to all full-time employees from date of hire. Employees may contribute pre-tax or post-tax from their salary up the legal limit set forth by the IRS.
- Employer Contribution: All participants are eligible for this contribution.
- Catalist, LLC will contribute up to 3% of your compensation into the plan for each eligible participant.
- Catalist, LLC 401(k) plan allows qualified employees to enroll on their first day of work.
This benefit allows you to have up to funds deducted on a pre-tax basis from your gross salary amount to pay for Metro use.
Student Loan PayDown or SaveUp
Catalist is pleased to offer a Student Loan PayDown and College SaveUp benefit. We make direct contributions to either your student loans or 529 college savings plan. You get to choose which one will be most impactful to you!
Professional Development Benefit
All Catalist employees are eligible for an Individual Development Budget of $750 per calendar year. We are committed to the professional development of Catalist team members and are excited to support this benefit.
Personal Leave & Vacation
Catalist offers vacation benefits to all full-time, permanent staff. Employees receive 12 days their first full year. In addition to vacation, after 6 months each employee is allowed three personal days per calendar year and up to six days sick leave depending on tenure.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.