For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
We are currently looking for talented and energetic engineers who would like to work on an exciting set of products to help progressive organizations run more effective voter contact programs. This position will offer a unique opportunity to help build out an enterprise class data processing and analytics infrastructure for scale.
As an engineer at Catalist, you will have a leading role in efforts to discover actionable insights using the largest repository of individual-level data in progressive politics. Our work is on the cutting edge of data-driven politics, and your findings will help Democratic candidates and progressive organizations conduct successful advocacy and electoral campaigns.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design and describe integration solutions with clients and partners
- Understand, marshal, and deploy Catalist APIs and services to build solutions for client and partner needs
- Serve as the principal technical point-of-contact for integration partners
- Provide second-tier support for client-facing APIs
- Monitor client integration jobs and overall system processing load to identify anomalous conditions
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems with client jobs, including software use, configuration, and reporting issues
- Perform ad hoc tasks for client data integrations fulfillment as needed
- Deploy software and configuration updates during managed configuration change windows
- Create and maintain documentation for all responsibilities, including solution descriptions, custom processes, troubleshooting and triage techniques, and other items as needed
- Assist with reference data management in production and non-production environments
- Assist with verification and validation of applications and data as needed
Skills & Abilities:
- Can-do attitude, strong work ethic, and desire to learn new technical skills
- Dynamic problem solving skills for the understanding, manipulation, transformation, and delivery of data in solutions to clients
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly, to be creative, and to work in a personable manner
- Strong attention to detail, and strong organization skills to work independently under tight deadlines and multiple task assignments
- Working knowledge of SQL, specific experience with PostGresQL a plus
- Working knowledge of Python, including Python 3
- Working knowledge of Bash scripting
- Solid understanding of data formats, representations, and encodings; JSON, TSV, UTF-8, etc.
- Working knowledge of Unix command line, specifically file processing and manipulation commands
- Working knowledge of data manipulation in Excel (large data sets, data formatting and representation)
- Knowledge of Java software deployments, including Tomcat, a plus
- Skill with Hadoop data manipulation technologies (Spark, Hive, Parquet, etc) a plus
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Science, Engineering, Political Science or equivalent experience required
- Past political and technology experience is a plus
- Experience with campaign and voter file data tools (e.g. VAN, PDI, Q, or M) a plus
- Experience with CRM integrations at progressive organizations a plus
- Background check required
This is a full-time job in Washington, DC. Compensation will range from $70,000-$85,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Solutions Engineer.”
Medical, Dental, Prescription Drug, and Vision coverage
Catalist offers medical, dental, prescription drug, and vision coverage. Coverage for eligible staff begins the first of the month following the date of hire.
Group Term Life Insurance & Long Term Disability
Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Coverage is available for eligible full-time employees. These benefits will be provided at no cost to Catalist’s employees. Enrollment will occur automatically on the 1st of the month following your date of employment.
401(k) Safe Harbor Plan
The 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan is available to all full-time employees from date of hire. Employees may contribute pre-tax or post-tax from their salary up the legal limit set forth by the IRS.
- Employer Contribution: All participants are eligible for this contribution.
- Catalist, LLC will contribute up to 3% of your compensation into the plan for each eligible participant.
- Catalist, LLC 401(k) plan allows qualified employees to enroll on their first day of work.
This benefit allows you to have up to funds deducted on a pre-tax basis from your gross salary amount to pay for Metro use.
Student Loan PayDown or SaveUp
Catalist is pleased to offer a Student Loan PayDown and College SaveUp benefit. We make direct contributions to either your student loans or 529 college savings plan. You get to choose which one will be most impactful to you!
Professional Development Benefit
All Catalist employees are eligible for an Individual Development Budget of $750 per calendar year. We are committed to the professional development of Catalist team members and are excited to support this benefit.
Personal Leave & Vacation
Catalist offers vacation benefits to all full-time, permanent staff. Employees receive 12 days their first full year. In addition to vacation, after 6 months each employee is allowed three personal days per calendar year and up to six days sick leave depending on tenure.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.