User Interface Engineer
For more than a decade, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
We are currently looking for talented and energetic engineers who would like to work on an exciting set of products to help progressive organizations run more effective voter contact programs. This position will offer a unique opportunity to help build out an enterprise class data processing and analytics infrastructure for scale.
As an engineer at Catalist, you will have a leading role in efforts to discover actionable insights using the largest repository of individual-level data in progressive politics. Our work is on the cutting edge of data-driven politics, and your findings will help Democratic candidates and progressive organizations conduct successful advocacy and electoral campaigns.
- Configure, develop, support, and maintain software components for a web-based content management platform and custom web applications
- Be a contributing engineer on a team of engineers
- Work closely with engineering, political, and data science staff to understand functional software requirements
- Participate in the process for translating software requirements into working systems and solutions
- Decompose and estimate the effort for your assigned tasks
- Support verification and validation of web applications
- Support deployment and configuration updates to web applications
- Create, develop, and maintain technical product documentation, including user guides, specifications, design and implementation plans, issue tickets, etc.
- Provide technical feedback to team members on product features and designs, and receive feedback from them
- Support maintenance windows and deployment schedule (generally a brief part of one evening a week)
Skills & Abilities:
- Required: Web application software design and development skills
- Required: Basic to intermediate SQL skills
- Required: Basic understanding of WWW network protocols
- Required: High attention to detail – across process, data, design, and engineering
- Required: Strong work ethic and self-starting motivation
- Required: Dynamic problem solving skills
- Required: Ability to articulate ideas clearly, to be creative, and to work in a personable manner
- Desirable: Java, Scala, or Python software design and development skills
- Desirable: Strong working knowledge of SQL
- Desirable: Ability to self-educate on new technical skills
- Desirable: Solid understanding of data formats, representations, and encodings
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Science, Engineering, Political Science or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience with web application development
- Experience with at least one RDBMS – PostgreSQL, MySQL, Aurora, etc.
- Previous campaign technology development experience is a plus
- Experience with campaign and voter file data tools (e.g. VAN, PDI, Q, or M) a plus
- Background check required
This position offers an annual salary in the range of $70,000 – $85,000. At Catalist we live our progressive values, and our benefits package is one of the ways we support our team and employees. Our benefits include:
- Life and Disability Benefits
- Health and Dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Transportation Benefits
- Retirement contributions
- Continuing education disbursement
- Student loan and/or educational savings account contributions
- Parental leave, including flexible scheduling and remote working
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “User Interface Engineer.”
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.