Chief Technology Officer
For nearly 15 years, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data, software, and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. active in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant and growing progressive community.
The Catalist Technology department supports data-driven progressive organizations that boost civic participation and run successful electoral programs. We develop, maintain, and improve software and integrations for users of varying skill sets and levels that run numerous types of data-driven programs. From strategic planning, to direct voter contact, to data science and analytics, our software and API suite support routine and one-time data engagements. The Technology department also builds and maintains the internal environments used by other Catalist departments.
As the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) you’ll oversee software development, infrastructure architecture and maintenance, and Catalist data security. You’ll also help guide the organization as it roadmaps the next generation of software and systems on which the community and Catalist will rely. The ability to foresee industry developments and see around corners is paramount.
The CTO reports directly to the CEO and manages a team of 15 software engineers, database specialists, product managers, and data scientists. You'll work closely with members of the data, analytics, client services, and business development teams. You will also help Catalist recruit and develop new talent, shape Catalist’s culture, and support our continuing effort to make progressive data and the progressive data community more diverse, inclusive, equitable, and accessible. We take our individual and collective responsibility on these fronts seriously and want to make sure that the next CTO can help realize these goals.
Finally, the CTO is a community-facing position; you will engage with clients and peers in the progressive space. You will communicate developments at Catalist and in the data/technology space to technical and lay audiences on a routine basis.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Thought Leadership and Strategic Vision: Lead the development and implementation of technology strategy for the enterprise and the needs of our clients, partners, and the larger progressive ecosystem. Define and shape the Catalist technology roadmap and project prioritization.
- Project Management: Catalist software and systems have team leads and Directors, all of whom report into the CTO. The CTO will manage resources, balance trade-offs in resourcing, provide clear and routine progress reports to senior management, and ensure the timely delivery of product updates and releases.
- Hiring and Staff Development: This is a management position, and we take seriously the role that senior leadership plays in recruitment, growth, and retention of staff. Finding and developing staff with a diversity of personal and professional backgrounds and with varied experiences is an essential part of the position.
- Communication. The CTO routinely engages in formal and informal conversation with Clients and the broader progressive community. Facility with Catalist systems and the broader tech landscape is important as is the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with principals, technologists, and non-technical members of the progressive community.
Skills & Experience:
- Management Experience: We recognize that the skills required to be a great programmer, futurist, or systems manager are different than the skills required to effectively manage people in those positions. While it’s not a requirement that you’ve led a team as varied professionally as Catalist’s Technology department, a proven record of technical team management is critical.
- Manage a broad agenda. Our Technology department works on short and long-term projects, many of which have multiple phases dependent on progress by internal and external stakeholders. A demonstrated history managing multiple projects and resources concurrently is essential.
- Domain experience: It’s not a requirement that you have experience in progressive politics or advocacy, though that experience will make transitioning into this role easier. If you haven’t worked in progressive politics or advocacy, we’re looking for broad industry experience that demonstrates familiarity with managing software engineers, database managers, technical project managers, or the like. If you’re coming out of progressive politics or advocacy, that will be all the domain experience you need.
- Education: There are no formal educational requirements for this position, but you will be engaging in highly technical work.
This is a full-time job, located in Washington, DC. Catalist is currently working remotely due to the pandemic. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Catalist offers a strong benefits package, detailed below.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Chief Technology Officer.”
Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription Drug coverage
Catalist offers comprehensive PPO medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage. Coverage for eligible staff begins the first of the month following the date of hire.
Group Term Life Insurance & Long Term Disability
Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Coverage is available for eligible full-time employees provided at no cost to Catalist’s employees. Enrollment will occur automatically on the 1st of the month following your date of employment.
Betterment 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan
The Betterment 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan is available to all full-time employees from date of hire. Employees may contribute pre-tax or post-tax from their salary up the legal limit set forth by the IRS.
- Employer Contribution: All participants are eligible for this contribution.
- Catalist, LLC will contribute up to 3% of your compensation into the plan for each eligible participant.
- Catalist, LLC 401(k) plan allows qualified employees to enroll on their first day of work.
Catalist, LLC also makes available Transit Benefits to its employees. These benefits allow you to have funds deducted on a pre-tax basis from your gross salary amount to pay for Transit.
Student Loan PayDown or SaveUp
Catalist is pleased to offer a Student Loan PayDown and College SaveUp benefit. We have partnered with Gradifi to make direct contributions to either your student loans or 529 college savings plan. You get to choose which one will be most impactful to you!
Professional Development Benefit
All Catalist employees are eligible for an Individual Development Budget of $750 per calendar year. We have seen, and want to recognize, the immense interest Catalist staff has demonstrated in expanding knowledge and improving skills. We are committed to your professional development and are excited to support this benefit for our staff.
Personal Leave & Vacation
Catalist offers vacation benefits to all full-time, permanent staff. During the first year of employment, employees will accrue one vacation day per calendar month. Employees are eligible to take vacation leave after the initial ninety days of employment. At the beginning of the second year of employment, employees will be issued fifteen days of vacation per employment year. In addition to vacation, each employee will be allowed three personal days per calendar year, to be used as needed, but no more than one personal day may be used in any calendar month unless approved in advance by a supervisor. Personal leave may be used for medical appointments scheduled during work hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist commits to fostering a culture of equity, inclusion, and accessibility and to serving the community by finding strength in our diversity. We commit to data as a force for good in the world, where we use data to tell stories, effect change, and have a positive impact in the progressive community. As part of our commitment, our Diversity Equity Inclusion and Accessibility committee focuses on four key areas: Data, Talent, Language, and Training & Education. This work consistently improves our data, communication, and company culture and also benefits the larger progressive data ecosystem.
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.