For 14 years, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. engaged in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts who build best-in class data tools and science. Catalist is committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant, growing, progressive community.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with excellent technical skills, a strong desire to learn new skills, and an interest in progressive politics. Catalist values creativity and problem solving. Our work is on the cutting edge of data-driven politics, and your support will help Democratic candidates and progressive organizations conduct successful advocacy and electoral campaigns.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
Catalist’s Communications Director will work with the CEO and senior team to manage and direct the organization's internal and external communications and public relations. This person will be a key leader in developing communications strategies and media tactics to create brand awareness for Catalist. They will be the primary point of contact for journalists, will proactively pitch stories and Catalist spokespeople, reactively field questions from reporters and route them to the best expert on staff (or elsewhere), and will write and disseminate press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor and editorial memos to the media. The ideal candidate has pre-existing strong relationships with technology and political reporters and will continue to build those relationships.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities for the Communications Director include, but are not limited to:
- Increasing awareness and brand recognition for Catalist through various PR and media strategies
- Preparing Catalist spokespeople for media interviews to help ensure key messages are consistently conveyed
- Cultivating relationships with key media outlets and reporters in the technology and media industries
- Developing key messages, press releases, and other materials
- Spearheading and coordinating logistics for press events and public speaking opportunities for spokespeople
- Training organization in communications best-practices
- Monitoring and documenting media mentions of Catalist
Skills & Experience:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following:
- 5-7 years experience in communications and press relations
- Excellent writing skills for diverse audiences: the media, policy professionals, academia, and the public
- Strong writing, editing, pitching, and proofreading skills are essential, including ability to present complex concepts verbally
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Superb project management and time management skills
- Strong judgment on what kinds of tactics and campaigns will attract positive media attention
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management
- Background check required
There are no formal educational requirements for this position.
This is a full-time job in Washington, DC. Compensation will range from $80,000-$88,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Director.”
Medical, Dental, Prescription Drug, and Vision coverage
Catalist offers medical, dental, prescription drug, and vision coverage. Coverage for eligible staff begins the first of the month following the date of hire.
Group Term Life Insurance & Long Term Disability
Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Coverage is available for eligible full-time employees. These benefits will be provided at no cost to Catalist’s employees. Enrollment will occur automatically on the 1st of the month following your date of employment.
401(k) Safe Harbor Plan
The 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan is available to all full-time employees from date of hire. Employees may contribute pre-tax or post-tax from their salary up the legal limit set forth by the IRS.
- Employer Contribution: All participants are eligible for this contribution.
- Catalist, LLC will contribute up to 3% of your compensation into the plan for each eligible participant.
- Catalist, LLC 401(k) plan allows qualified employees to enroll on their first day of work.
This benefit allows you to have up to funds deducted on a pre-tax basis from your gross salary amount to pay for Metro use.
Student Loan PayDown or SaveUp
Catalist is pleased to offer a Student Loan PayDown and College SaveUp benefit. We make direct contributions to either your student loans or 529 college savings plan. You get to choose which one will be most impactful to you!
Professional Development Benefit
All Catalist employees are eligible for an Individual Development Budget of $750 per calendar year. We are committed to the professional development of Catalist team members and are excited to support this benefit.
Personal Leave & Vacation
Catalist offers vacation benefits to all full-time, permanent staff. Employees receive 12 days their first full year. In addition to vacation, after 6 months each employee is allowed three personal days per calendar year and up to six days sick leave depending on tenure.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.