Data Acquisition Specialist
For 15 years, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data, software, and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. active in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant and growing progressive community.
We are currently seeking applicants for a position as a Data Acquisition Specialist. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with a strong desire to learn new skills and an interest in progressive politics.
In this position, you will interact regularly with official sources of voter file data and will be responsible for collecting, cataloging, and processing data for client use. Candidates should possess strong research skills, with the ability to identify new or updated sources of data in a fast and efficient manner. The candidate should have a strong attention to detail, be able to build relationships with data sources, and deliver results in a fast-paced working environment.
This position reports to the Director of Data Acquisition and works closely with the Data Operations and Quality teams.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Research, collect, and work with various data types, such as voter file, absentee/early vote, and contact data from multiple sources in a timely and efficient manner to meet client and political needs
- Prepare required forms, letters, and check requests on time to ensure data acquisition, as well as work with legal counsel to maintain compliance with federal, state, and local regulations
- Build and foster relationships with data source contacts to stay informed about any changes or updates to the data as well as monitor information regarding elections, data, and regulations
- Track ongoing and future internal operations, including but not limited to, acquisition calendars, budgeting documents, and data element listings
- Build efficiency and responsiveness into existing operations, work with the team to execute best practices to structure efficient workflows, and help define new operational strategies
- Respond to all correspondence in alignment with company values and objectives while handling confidential information with the utmost maturity, discretion, and diplomacy
- Plan, manage, and execute special projects as directed by the Director of Data Acquisition
Desired Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including ability to multitask
- Effective problem solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Strong written and oral communication
- Experience in research work in order to facilitate ongoing data and election related research
- Ability to focus on details and make productive suggestions on ways to improve processes
- Ability to be creative and personable, work with teams internally, and articulate ideas clearly
- Proficient using Excel and Google Suite products (Gmail, Google Sheets, etc.)
Education & Experience:
- One to two years of some previous administrative work
- There are no formal educational requirements for this position
- Background check required
Catalist values creativity and problem solving. We want to revolutionize the way data is used by political campaigns, non-profit organizations, and academic institutions, and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of advocacy efforts. Our Data team is critical to growing our impact. For more information about our company and our clients, please visit http://www.catalist.us.
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Data Acquisition Specialist”.
This is a full-time job, located in Washington, DC. Catalist is currently working remotely due to the pandemic. Compensation will range from $50,000-$58,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Catalist offers a strong benefits package, detailed below.
Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription Drug coverage
Catalist offers comprehensive PPO medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage. Coverage for eligible staff begins the first of the month following the date of hire.
Group Term Life Insurance & Long Term Disability
Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Coverage is available for eligible full-time employees provided at no cost to Catalist’s employees. Enrollment will occur automatically on the 1st of the month following your date of employment.
Betterment 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan
The Betterment 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan is available to all full-time employees from date of hire. Employees may contribute pre-tax or post-tax from their salary up the legal limit set forth by the IRS.
- Employer Contribution: All participants are eligible for this contribution.
- Catalist, LLC will contribute up to 3% of your compensation into the plan for each eligible participant.
- Catalist, LLC 401(k) plan allows qualified employees to enroll on their first day of work.
Catalist, LLC also makes available Transit Benefits to its employees. These benefits allow you to have funds deducted on a pre-tax basis from your gross salary amount to pay for Transit.
Student Loan PayDown or SaveUp
Catalist is pleased to offer a Student Loan PayDown and College SaveUp benefit. We have partnered with Gradifi to make direct contributions to either your student loans or 529 college savings plan. You get to choose which one will be most impactful to you!
Professional Development Benefit
All Catalist employees are eligible for an Individual Development Budget of $750 per calendar year. We have seen, and want to recognize, the immense interest Catalist staff has demonstrated in expanding knowledge and improving skills. We are committed to your professional development and are excited to support this benefit for our staff.
Personal Leave & Vacation
Catalist offers vacation benefits to all full-time, permanent staff. During the first year of employment, employees will accrue one vacation day per calendar month. Employees are eligible to take vacation leave after the initial ninety days of employment. At the beginning of the second year of employment, employees will be issued fifteen days of vacation per employment year. In addition to vacation, each employee will be allowed three personal days per calendar year, to be used as needed, but no more than one personal day may be used in any calendar month unless approved in advance by a supervisor. Personal leave may be used for medical appointments scheduled during work hours.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist commits to fostering a culture of equity, inclusion, and accessibility and to serving the community by finding strength in our diversity. We commit to data as a force for good in the world, where we use data to tell stories, effect change, and have a positive impact in the progressive community. As part of our commitment, our Diversity Equity Inclusion and Accessibility committee focuses on four key areas: Data, Talent, Language, and Training & Education. This work consistently improves our data, communication, and company culture and also benefits the larger progressive data ecosystem.
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.