For over 15 years, Catalist has been a leader in civic data and data science innovation. Our mission is to provide progressive organizations with the data, software, and services needed to better identify, understand, and communicate with the people they need to engage and mobilize. Our clients include the largest, most influential organizations in the U.S. active in civic engagement, advocacy, and political campaigns.
Catalist is home to a dedicated, creative team of technologists, data scientists, and campaign experts committed to using our talents and technology to nurture a vibrant and growing progressive community.
The Catalist Analytics department supports data-driven progressive organizations that boost civic participation and run successful electoral programs. We develop new statistical methods for solving unique problems associated with systematic missing data, latent variable detection, supervised modeling, and unsupervised modeling.
Data Scientists play a critical role on the Analytics team by supporting the design, testing, and application of new strategies for understanding and predicting voter behavior at the individual and aggregate level. Tools and methods developed by the Data Science team enhance not only the broader efforts of the Analytics department, but directly support the practical work of our clients and partners.
Data Scientists are provided with opportunities for mentorship from senior analytics and technical staff both inside Catalist and through our partnerships across the community and academia.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Expertly leverage Catalist’s data resources to provide predictive analysis tools and solutions to Catalist partners and clients
- Design and execute high priority data science projects, from planning to evaluation and deployment
- Collaborate on and communicate scientific and methodological solutions with other data scientists and across the Analytics team
- Provide quality control to ensure Analytics deliverables are presented accurately and precisely
- Other duties as needed
- Demonstrated experience in creating predictive models or other data science products for use in political program
- Well versed in statistical concepts such as regression analysis, statistical and Bayesian inference, and probabilities; knowledge of the principles of experimental design and/or survey research also a plus
- Familiarity with Catalist data, progressive political needs, voter files, and/or commercial databases
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Proficiency in Python or R
- Experience with version control tools such as git or similar
- Highly motivated, curious, and collaborative
- Strong problem-solving skills and a demonstrated capacity to thrive in evolving environments
- At least 1-2 years of political targeting, analytics, and/or data experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in political science, social/ behavioral science, economics, statistics, or related field
- Experience with BigQuery and Airflow is a plus
- Background check required
This is a full-time job in Washington, D.C. Catalist is currently working remotely due to the pandemic. Compensation will range from $75,000-$85,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Catalist offers a strong benefits package, detailed below. This position is included in our CWA bargaining unit.
Catalist offers a competitive salary and a strong benefits package. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Data Scientist.”
Medical, Dental, Prescription Drug, and Vision coverage
Catalist offers medical, dental, prescription drug, and vision coverage. Coverage for eligible staff begins the first of the month following the date of hire.
Group Term Life Insurance & Long Term Disability
Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability Coverage is available for eligible full-time employees. These benefits will be provided at no cost to Catalist’s employees. Enrollment will occur automatically on the 1st of the month following your date of employment.
401(k) Safe Harbor Plan
The 401(k) Safe Harbor Plan is available to all full-time employees from date of hire. Employees may contribute pre-tax or post-tax from their salary up the legal limit set forth by the IRS.
- Employer Contribution: All participants are eligible for this contribution.
- Catalist, LLC will contribute up to 3% of your compensation into the plan for each eligible participant.
- Catalist, LLC 401(k) plan allows qualified employees to enroll on their first day of work.
This benefit allows you to have up to funds deducted on a pre-tax basis from your gross salary amount to pay for Metro use.
Student Loan PayDown or SaveUp
Catalist is pleased to offer a Student Loan PayDown and College SaveUp benefit. We make direct contributions to either your student loans or 529 college savings plan. You get to choose which one will be most impactful to you!
Professional Development Benefit
All Catalist employees are eligible for an Individual Development Budget of $750 per calendar year. We are committed to the professional development of Catalist team members and are excited to support this benefit.
Personal Leave & Vacation
Catalist offers vacation benefits to all full-time, permanent staff. Employees receive 12 days their first full year. In addition to vacation, after 6 months each employee is allowed three personal days per calendar year and up to six days sick leave depending on tenure.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Catalist commits to fostering a culture of equity, inclusion, and accessibility and to serving the community by finding strength in our diversity. We commit to data as a force for good in the world, where we use data to tell stories, effect change, and have a positive impact in the progressive community. As part of our commitment, our Diversity Equity Inclusion and Accessibility committee focuses on four key areas: Data, Talent, Language, and Training & Education. This work consistently improves our data, communication, and company culture and also benefits the larger progressive data ecosystem.
Catalist, LLC (Catalist or Company) is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, veteran's status, or any basis prohibited by the law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of the Company, including opportunity for employment and treatment as a Company employee.
No recruiters or agencies. Direct hires only.